Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Last Musketeer

The Last Musketeer
Trade Paperback
Fantagraphics



The second of three Jason graphic novels I'll be looking at here on Dollar Bin Blues, The Last Musketeer displays the same style bittersweet ambiance and lightly comic, almost dreamlike storyline as I Killed Adolf Hitler.

The titular Musketeer is Athos, who has lived into the present day but fallen on hard times, reduced to telling tales of his glory days for spare change, which he then spends on alcohol. It's a sad state for a man who once defended the kingdom of France from enemies both without and within, but an unexpected invasion from Mars gives him the chance to reclaim his honour and self-respect.

As in I Killed Adolf Hitler, Jason expertly mixes the fantastic and the everyday to tell a story everyone can relate to. While I liked that title slightly more than this one, they're both well worth your time, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

No comments:

Post a Comment