Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Marvel Adventures Super Heroes #4

Marvel Adventures Super Heroes #4 (2008)
Ongoing Series
Marvel Comics



I'm in need of some extra space and extra money these days, and as I was going through my collection in search of comics to part with I stumbled across this one. I've had nothing but positive experiences reading the Marvel Adventures line of all-ages comics, and since the cover didn't ring any bells I thought maybe this one had slipped through the cracks unread.

After the first couple of pages, I realized I'd read it before, and in fact remembered it almost perfectly, but that didn't stop me from reading on to the end. Like every other Marvel Adventures comic I've read, this one is great fun and features the sort of oddball premise you're unlikely to find in a mainstream title: while standing outside a bank waiting for Iron Man to finish his banking, Spider-Man and the Hulk notice a poster advertising a country-and-western performance by super-villain Klaw. Convinced that evil is afoot, the heroic trio takes in the show, waiting for Klaw to tip his villainous hand. But he seems to have honestly turned over a new leaf, and Iron Man's over-reaction to an innocent act on Klaw's part makes the heroes look like jerks.

Is Klaw really reformed? What does the Hulk think of country music? You'll have to read the story to find out, but trust me, it's worth it. And it's not leaving my collection after all.

Highly recommended fun for the whole family.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome. I'll see if I can find a copy myself (or possibly for my siblings) next time i'm at the comic book shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Marvel Super Heroes series should still be going; if not, one of the other Marvel Age titles will probably fit the bill. If you're at the shop on Bank, they might have them near the front of the store with the children's comics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Er, that should be "other Marvel Adventures titles will probably fit the bill." Marvel Age was a previous all-ages imprint.

    They also reprint the Marvel Adventures comics in digest-sized form, roughly the size of a thin manga volume. I have at least one of those lying around the house.

    ReplyDelete